Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Black babies in the blink of an eye........


I have found that it is incredibly hard to maintain a blog about my experience in Central America thus far, regardless of my intentions, for my reality changes so dramatically from hour to hour. Every time I think I have handle on whats going on, my world changes in the blink of an eye, like a bill board going down the interstate, you see it coming and then in a blur its gone, only minutes later having forget what you saw and now focused on the next one. Its a strange existence when everything changes so much and so often, everything being unkown, leaving me wondering, what in the world have I done. There seems to be no givens here, nothing is concrete and you can not count on much of anything. Internet, gas, accessing cash, milk, air conditioning, cell phone service, things we all take for granted, are here one minute, gone the next. There is a reason that people don't sell all their shit and move away to third world countries very often, thats because its hard, real hard. If it were easy, there would be a McDonald's somewhere around here. I have been here three weeks today and I know that I am a completely different person than the one who boarded that airplane in Lafayette. This is a new Shannon, one who is pushing himself and testing himself daily. I like that process and the results that seem to be coming from it, "that which does not kill us, only makes us stronger". As I sit here typing this, I hear the waves of the Caribbean crashing onto the beach below my house and I have to smile and know that at the very least I can say, I am making this happen. But at what cost? Are the things and people I left behind going to haunt me all of my days and nights, regardless of how blue green the ocean may be.
There is a young couple on the Island, AC and Julie. I met them about a year ago and we have stayed in touch weekly ever since and have become very close. They were very instrumental in making the deal I have now with Gaviota happen and they are currently living in the resort now sort of running the place for me for this month while I get everything set up and ready. Upon meeting them over a year ago and telling them what a great couple I thought they made, I began encouraging them to have a baby. I told them I always wanted a little Belizian Baby. Well, today they tell me they are pregnant and........(hold the phone), they want me to to be the God Father of the child. How could this be possible? How could it be that today I was maneuvering a 26' boat out to an Island, feeling somewhat like a pirate, in a country 1000 miles away from home, only to find out once I got there, that Im now a Paran to a little black baby. Once again, I blinked.....and my whole world changed..........My oh My, inst life funny......

4 comments:

  1. That's so crazy cool~! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly the universe is telling you all that shit you try to make work and hold onto is in reality holding you back. Homework assignment - Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you Shannon, is all I can say. Words could never do justice to the way I perceive your courage and joie de vivre. I look forward to your posts and to seeing you within the year. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. {"There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus." ~Author Unknown}

    I am certain that you will offer more gifts to your new Godchild beyond measure that will define a path that you never imagined could give you such immense fulfillment. Sometimes the best things in life are those of which we NEVER knew we needed or saw coming. Children have a way of restoring our faith in the impossibles. They take us back to a time when we still believed in Santa Claus and noticed every single star twinkling in the sky. You are in for an AMAZING ride. Congratulations Shannon.

    ReplyDelete