Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cliff diving for pennies


Two days here in Belize, as a resident and Im not sure I will even be able to find the words to describe it all. Its just to big, to much to even process, let alone write about. The internet is much like the cool ocean breeze, not here as much as I hoped it would be, but getting that fixed and will be better about writing about this adventure and staying in touch with everyone who has been emailing. Getting on that plane in Lafayette was tough, I really had to suck it up and reach way down deep. I remember when I was young and was at Hamiltons pool in Austin, back in the day you could jump off the cliffs. I was with my life long friend, Scott White. Here we both were on top of this cliff, neither of us sure we could jump. As the crowd below began taunting us, a girl walks up and calmly walks to the edge and dives off the cliff. The crowd below went nuts, we had no choice at this point....so we jumped. Getting on the plane felt just like that. I could taste the fear in my mouth and it tasted like a copper penny. All the while praying that that was not going to be the sum value of all my decisions. Trying to weigh what lay ahead to that of which I was leaving behind was impossible, and overwhelming. To make matters even harder to understand, I will say now, I fell madly in love in the month before I left, that was the curve ball that life had thrown me. I have still not figured that one out, but of all things in life never to be figured out, Love is on top of the list. How could life tease me with something I have wanted forever, as Im walking out the door. Once again, I thought of jumping off that cliff.....and I thought about that penny. And as that plane took off and I watched all that I knew and loved fade away into little specs out of the window of that plane, and all I could do was hope that nothing ate the bread crumbs I was dropping to find my way back home some day. My first day was taxing and incredibly frustrating. Nothing went as planned. The bank needed more documents, things I didnt have, my PO box wasnt ready, my belongings are stuck in customs; I felt like I was going to scream. But then I was reminded by a local couple, slow down, get used to it. Look out on the ocean and remember why your here. Its the American mindset I have to get rid of first. I am a foreigner here, they do things on their time and at their pace. Getting used to this will be a good thing, and, I have no choice, this is Belizian time. I Still have not found a vehicle, I dont think there is a jeep in Belize. Looks like Im going with a Toyota forerunner. Tomorrow I go to the Island, that will be a whole other world.....
Let me end this post by saying, amidst the frustration, the fear, the heat, the sand flies, the sadness from leaving the girl who has my heart.....I will say, its all good. I know this is where I need to be. I will figure it all out, I will make it happen. This morning while sitting here writing this, drinking my coffee and looking out over the Caribbean, this strange bird that looked like some kind of parrot flew into the tree in front of my porch. Its song was hauntingly melodic, and I wondered if this was some kind of a sign.......all the while, these words kept running through my mind....."Totto, were not in Kansas anymore".......

7 comments:

  1. I like this post and it reminds me that I have come a long way in my 5+ months here.....you are so right about being on "Belize time" and letting go of the American mind set.....it is liberating and yes, incredibly frustrating!

    I wondered what became of the "curve ball" that life threw your way....there are more questions now than there are answers, but that too will soon change my friend.

    I feel the universe has blessed me with a new friend from the states who is coming behind me and letting me see how far I have come in my own journey....and perhaps allowing me to be a guiding light for you on your's.

    Do keep that positive attitude and let the beautiful Carribean sea remind you of why you (and I are here)! Wishing you blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written...I feel like I'm in your head...and no your not in Kansas anymore, but how great is that!! I'm excited for you...JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember how it felt moving from the hustle and bustle of a busy Chicago life to the south. Took me too long to appreciate it, and now it seems the hectic pace has caught up with me again except on my farm - with the gate closed.

    I imagine it won't take too many peaceful mornings of songbirds' songs for you to ease into the relaxed pace there. Relish it, soak it in and let it soothe your soul and replenish you.

    My favorite post yet - love and light
    mgj

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post most definitely rings of Chapter One of your book....After reading this post I am wanting
    more...
    I am so jealous of this new life pace that you have warped yourself into.
    Keep us reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, going along with your quote of "Totto, we're not in Kansas anymore", I thought you'd appreciate a quote from the wizard regarding courage versus wisdom. You my friend are finding both each day as you tackle new endeavors. With each new challenge, comes new lessons, but with each new lesson, brings wisdom and growth. I believe that you will find that you've have the most important gift of all to accomplish your mission and that is "heart".

    Wizard of Oz: You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking. You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you're confusing courage with wisdom.
    The Wizard of Oz 1939

    ReplyDelete